Skip to main content

The Sem.that was


I still can't bring myself to think that this was the last odd sem. I have had together with my friends, staying in hostel. The 7th sem. would be for 6 months training and we would all be definitely far apart. And how would the days turn out to be then, from practically being in each others company nearly 24x7 to being all by ourselves!
Odd semesters, I'v realized tend to end somehow way more sooner than the even semesters probably because we have a lot of days off in between due to festive season.
A regular 45 days of teaching followed by mid sessionals, fests, a mini autumn break, 20-25 days of working college and then the inevitable lab quizzes, evaluations, end sessionals and the next thing you would be doing is packing your bags and heading off to homes.
As the session began, I thought that this semester would pass out pretty smoothly, the work load and the credits were less than any other semester but I did get that wrong! Most of my subjects this sem. were totally based on 'how well you could cram'. Even though how much correct you would write, if you did not use the same words as you had been dictated in the class chances were that your answers would be marked wrong at time of evaluations !!
But a fun thing I tried and learnt this semester was to escape from the class once the attendance has been marked :D I would have never dared to try this but somehow the lousy teachers made the subject even more dull and uninteresting.  We are not geniuses, all of us would have been studying that subject for the 1st time unlike them who would have been taking this course for the nth time now. Thus the last 2 benches were rightfully ours because of their proximity to the back doors and we did really managed to get out. And at times it so happened that the class was almost half outside and it left me wondering even why are those few inside and whatever happened to 'nothing escapes the sharp eyes of the teachers'...
Since we were shifted to 2 other hostels this sem. we did not exactly had the kind of fun we used to have when we all were together. I actually miss the clusters we shared till last year. They were so much full of life, you could actually see people living there, music playing out from one room, laughter from another. It didn't matter if you lived in a single seater, chances were that you would be found in somebody other's room. Now what we live in are no less than apartments. There is practically no interaction amongst us (i'v no idea who lives immediately next to my room and the same would be true for them !!)
Henceforth, my addiction with House M.D. started. I'v seen Grey's but I loved watching House. This came as a bit of strange decision to myself since I'v got nothing to do with medical stuff but an intertwined plot around a character- smug, masochist, egotist person does keeps you glued with it. and i'v come to agree that people don't really change, they just become more of who they actually are !!
Till the year ends, it is fog, frost, sunny afternoons, flowers, books and homemade food :)





Comments

You might want to read these~

2026 so far

I have subscribed to some newsletters, and I have realized that publishing things weekly (which seems like a momentous task) might actually just boil down to having a routine and being disciplined. A simple format, like 10 things worth knowing, or a list of must-read short books/ movies, etc., is sometimes more than enough; enough for you to continue your weekly streak or momentum and enough for a reader to help you stay relevant. Here’s an attempt, in order to save myself from the personal disgrace of not publishing even once in 2026 on my blog. After all, it would be a pity if, after one year, I look back and realize it was that time when I actually could have posted once, just for the sake of continuity, but chose not to.  So far, this year has been nothing short of busy. Busy in terms of work and traveling. At the place where I work, I see colleagues and friends planning weeks in advance for vacations, and here I am, planning my holidays around the holidays of my partner an...

Empathy is the soul of Humanity

I am a student from India who has been oscillating betwixt Germany and France for over two years now, as part of my higher education. I am proud of my roots, the culture which I have inherited, the many customs and traditions that I’ve been exposed to as part of my growing years and the better sense of judgement that has come along with it, unknowingly.  Until one day, when I consciously made a decision to throw myself into a civilization that is far different from ours, both in terms of customs and social interaction. The first few months had been taxing; I noticed I was very observant and somehow critical of almost everything around me. I found people rude when I constantly heard them abhorring me for not speaking their ‘national’ language, the announcements on trains made no sense to me, grocery shopping felt like a dreadful task and so on. But one fine day, when my classes resumed I realized that almost all of us, including the students from the aforementioned countries wer...

For the love of Libraries

 I have been fascinated with libraries for the longest time that I can remember. As school going kids, we had to buy at least one of the four books recommended apart from course material. And at the end of term, we had a reading quiz competition where the teacher basically prepared a short quiz of 40 questions from those 4 books, that you were able to answer only if you had read the books thoroughly. So, that ensured that you not only read your book but exchanged the books you’re your classmates. And one of the books was always in Hindi. I dreaded to read because that did not come naturally to me as our mode of education was almost entirely in English. What started as reading just 4 books annually in class 3 or 4 soon turned to lending books from school library that were issued for a period of 2 weeks to eventually making my own library card for the Central library in my city. My mom is a huge reader and would always encourage (and still does) me to go to the library and let me pic...