Skip to main content

CHARM OF LETTERS!

I’m just a few pages into “My Name is Red” and it got me wondering when the last time I had posted a letter? It has been ages, probably I was in 6th class when we were told to send letters and telegrams to our relatives as a part of school activity. And I was so intrigued and fascinated with it that I decided to send one to my school friend too who happened to stay just a few kilometers away from my house! And even more interesting at that time was to get her reply back, describing what she did when she returned back from school, had for lunch and so on…
       A letter doesn't only communicate by words; you could actually get a vague idea by the manner in which the words are scribbled. A gentle and an eloquent handwriting for instance would suggest that much thought has been given as to what is being penned down. And a clumsy or over writing/cutting would be suggestive of written in haste. 
       Even more, in the book its shown that people could actually judge the kind of information that a letter would carry by the manner in which it was folded( for instance, a French pastry kind of fold would imply of secrecy and mystery); the scent of the letter(to allure the curiosity of reader) !!      
      I've not written a letter or posted a card in a long time now. A reason I could come up with is the postal rent or  the snail pace at which it gets delivered. Though text messages are a great means to communicate in our daily life yet I feel sometimes an old-fashioned letter shows sincerity as opposed to just getting on the computer and being tech savvy. Letters not only serve a purpose in the here and now, they also give us an incomparable window into the past. Anyone who has ever came across the old letters of parents and grandparents and suddenly felt transported back to another time and place, knows well the legacy-leaving power of letters. 
I’m so eager again to post a letter that I shall even get my ink pen in working state too :)



Comments

You might want to read these~

2026 so far

I have subscribed to some newsletters, and I have realized that publishing things weekly (which seems like a momentous task) might actually just boil down to having a routine and being disciplined. A simple format, like 10 things worth knowing, or a list of must-read short books/ movies, etc., is sometimes more than enough; enough for you to continue your weekly streak or momentum and enough for a reader to help you stay relevant. Here’s an attempt, in order to save myself from the personal disgrace of not publishing even once in 2026 on my blog. After all, it would be a pity if, after one year, I look back and realize it was that time when I actually could have posted once, just for the sake of continuity, but chose not to.  So far, this year has been nothing short of busy. Busy in terms of work and traveling. At the place where I work, I see colleagues and friends planning weeks in advance for vacations, and here I am, planning my holidays around the holidays of my partner an...

For the love of Libraries

 I have been fascinated with libraries for the longest time that I can remember. As school going kids, we had to buy at least one of the four books recommended apart from course material. And at the end of term, we had a reading quiz competition where the teacher basically prepared a short quiz of 40 questions from those 4 books, that you were able to answer only if you had read the books thoroughly. So, that ensured that you not only read your book but exchanged the books you’re your classmates. And one of the books was always in Hindi. I dreaded to read because that did not come naturally to me as our mode of education was almost entirely in English. What started as reading just 4 books annually in class 3 or 4 soon turned to lending books from school library that were issued for a period of 2 weeks to eventually making my own library card for the Central library in my city. My mom is a huge reader and would always encourage (and still does) me to go to the library and let me pic...

Road-trip to Andalusia! (Part-1)

My brother and I decided to undertake a road trip, our first in the EU this summer. The entire idea for this trip was based around the question-  what can be seen in 2 weeks time WITHOUT having to use too much from personal vacation days.  In Germany, there are usually several public holidays during May and June, and by taking just a week off + some accumulated over hours, one can actually plan a trip of 12-14 days! After extensively checking the map for the possible road routes, flight fares, ease of accommodation, and avoiding overly touristy places, we zeroed in on Spain. Upon further research, we decided to cover the Andalusia region, which is the southernmost autonomous community in Peninsular Spain. I had heard about it from colleagues who had visited the region, and a little background check from our end, with constraints mentioned as above, gave us the impression that it was indeed the place to go. We decided to do a quadrilateral trip and combined major cities lik...