Skip to main content

To the feeling called Friends :D

So the sole purpose of writing posting today is mainly because I hate changes (or, well, at least I believe that I do, to an extent) and partly because when I had logged in today, it was the 1st Sunday of August. Fb was generous enough to remind me twice that I had posted a blogpost celebrating Friendship over the past two years now. This, if not much is a ritual for me and I couldn’t let this year be any different.

Already having been irregular over the past few weeks and then being pointed out by a few friends of mine, as to how I keep on procrastinating things for next weekend and how my blog desperately needs oxygen or that they pray demons don’t take over internet or wifi and the chances of its survival are low; guilt mixed with a feeling of humiliation and embarrassment of being such a haughty/moody brat had finally taken over and this was much needed!
<
I beg you Thee to forgive me :”) >

If there’s any relationship that I value the most, it has to be friendship. I still stick to my words that friends made during our nascent years are the truer one’s because they were based on a feeling of mutual liking, interests, habits and innocence; when all you needed was somebody to share your merry making, to be the student when you played teacher-teacher, to be a policeman when you played spy-police-thief; when at 5pm you needed to cycle or go for skating and not turn back till your mother had shouted her lungs out; when in recess you were tempted to share their tiffin’s and in turn offer them yours; when just collecting your notebook at the end so that you can complete a question given for homework meant life to you; when greed, competition, jealousy, money, profit, gains were not a word in our dictionary. Such was the beauty of having *them* friends!!

Time passed by and as all good things come to an end, this phase was replaced by people who came into your life during your college years. You were again bonded with people over mutual likes- trips, food-corners, hostel rooms, mess food, bunking class, class parties, tutorial notebooks, lab experiments, last benches, summer internships, club activities and so on. Those 4 years were
ahmayzing BUT I’m sure it’s not just me who has experienced over having a different set of people almost each semester. There were constants, there will be but in general you hung out with more or less different people. Was it you who had changed? Or was it them?
Or was it none and just the circumstances?
Humans feel a level of comfort when they get to fall in a defined group of *something* ?!
(for a lack of better word :P )
As much as you value and appreciate individuality, propagate uniqueness, celebrate who-you-are, you still try to be a part of some group that gives you recognition, some sense of belongingness, acceptance. These well defined boundaries- either be a square or a circle. You try to mould yourself, do things which perhaps you didn’t like at first place. You don’t even once try to be that Sq(uare)Cir(cle) which you were not afraid of being as a kid!!!! You push your boundaries, go out a little of your zone and invite some more.
That’s perhaps a reason I guess very few of us still stay in touch after college gets over and the one’s I am in touch with, I am extremely humbled.
And then there are the ones whom you’ve just had a chance to meet, just few months of doing something common ( seniors, juniors, peers) and who have slowly crawled into your lives by their constant efforts to having a conversation keep alive!

I love calling these people as my people because time, distance, jobs, higher education etc hasn’t kept us apart. It has all the more given us reason to be together! You can go on about talking anything with them under the sun and they will patiently listen. They will ridicule you, mock you, and give you that much needed virtual hug and presence when you need it the most.
You share crazy stories, loud voice messages, a call after a month and you feel so good about yourself. And this, you reciprocate too.
May you all continue to find reasons that strengthen your bond. May you all have patience to wait for a friend who has been keeping busy. May you all put in efforts to keep your friendship alive and kicking. May you also find strangers and give them a chance, who are waiting to becoming your friends!
cheers!

PS. Happy Friendship Day to my people, today and forever.
Red Reddiee Pasta Popcorn Beere Sumo Laaall Aastha(given name) :DD
PPS. Happy friendship day to the docile, cute, adorable Noble Sentient beings who will not be reading this but they do just as well <3
                       


Comments

You might want to read these~

2026 so far

I have subscribed to some newsletters, and I have realized that publishing things weekly (which seems like a momentous task) might actually just boil down to having a routine and being disciplined. A simple format, like 10 things worth knowing, or a list of must-read short books/ movies, etc., is sometimes more than enough; enough for you to continue your weekly streak or momentum and enough for a reader to help you stay relevant. Here’s an attempt, in order to save myself from the personal disgrace of not publishing even once in 2026 on my blog. After all, it would be a pity if, after one year, I look back and realize it was that time when I actually could have posted once, just for the sake of continuity, but chose not to.  So far, this year has been nothing short of busy. Busy in terms of work and traveling. At the place where I work, I see colleagues and friends planning weeks in advance for vacations, and here I am, planning my holidays around the holidays of my partner an...

For the love of Libraries

 I have been fascinated with libraries for the longest time that I can remember. As school going kids, we had to buy at least one of the four books recommended apart from course material. And at the end of term, we had a reading quiz competition where the teacher basically prepared a short quiz of 40 questions from those 4 books, that you were able to answer only if you had read the books thoroughly. So, that ensured that you not only read your book but exchanged the books you’re your classmates. And one of the books was always in Hindi. I dreaded to read because that did not come naturally to me as our mode of education was almost entirely in English. What started as reading just 4 books annually in class 3 or 4 soon turned to lending books from school library that were issued for a period of 2 weeks to eventually making my own library card for the Central library in my city. My mom is a huge reader and would always encourage (and still does) me to go to the library and let me pic...

Empathy is the soul of Humanity

I am a student from India who has been oscillating betwixt Germany and France for over two years now, as part of my higher education. I am proud of my roots, the culture which I have inherited, the many customs and traditions that I’ve been exposed to as part of my growing years and the better sense of judgement that has come along with it, unknowingly.  Until one day, when I consciously made a decision to throw myself into a civilization that is far different from ours, both in terms of customs and social interaction. The first few months had been taxing; I noticed I was very observant and somehow critical of almost everything around me. I found people rude when I constantly heard them abhorring me for not speaking their ‘national’ language, the announcements on trains made no sense to me, grocery shopping felt like a dreadful task and so on. But one fine day, when my classes resumed I realized that almost all of us, including the students from the aforementioned countries wer...