Skip to main content

2026 so far

I have subscribed to some newsletters, and I have realized that publishing things weekly (which seems like a momentous task) might actually just boil down to having a routine and being disciplined. A simple format, like 10 things worth knowing, or a list of must-read short books/ movies, etc., is sometimes more than enough; enough for you to continue your weekly streak or momentum and enough for a reader to help you stay relevant.

Here’s an attempt, in order to save myself from the personal disgrace of not publishing even once in 2026 on my blog. After all, it would be a pity if, after one year, I look back and realize it was that time when I actually could have posted once, just for the sake of continuity, but chose not to. 

So far, this year has been nothing short of busy. Busy in terms of work and traveling. At the place where I work, I see colleagues and friends planning weeks in advance for vacations, and here I am, planning my holidays around the holidays of my partner and family. 

The year began by indulging in some pleasant weather and having a respite from the cold, grey and freezing European climate. Qatar was a surprise destination, one where I would not have consciously travelled to, but now that I have been there, I can strongly recommend this country for a one-time visit at least. The streets are cleaner than anywhere in Europe I have been to. Almost immediately, you hear people in a language that is known to you (English). It has the best of food from both worlds; Asian and Indian grocery markets and restaurants are in abundance, and popular EU brands like Carrefour and Monoprix can also be found. That means you can enjoy authentic South Indian meals (a luxury for me), without having to compromise on your croissants, cheesecakes, and coffee.

There are more leisure activities that I could do and participate in, and not be restricted by the language, which is sadly one of the major drawbacks I still face in most European cities, unless they are popular tourist hotspots.

In March, I explored in and around Split. Split is the second-largest city in Croatia, and lies in the Dalmatia region, situated on the eastern shore of the Adriatic Sea. The name of the region stems from an Illyrian tribe called the Dalmatae, who were primarily shepherds and the original inhabitants of the region.

The present city is built around Diocletian's Palace (which was built for Roman Emperor Diocletian some 1700 years ago). The palace forms about half of the old town of Split, and is surrounded by numerous shops, boutiques, cafes, bars, and restaurants.

For Game of Throne’s enthusiasts- This very Palace in Split served as the primary filming location for the fictional city of Meereen in Seasons 4- 6 of Game of Thrones.

Just 1.5 hours away from the city by road is the Krka National Park. It is situated along the Krka River and is known for a series of stunning 7 waterfalls. It takes about 5-6 hours to hike around the area, and you are constantly surrounded by breathtaking scenery and tranquil waterfalls

Then came April, and I revisited Amsterdam (after almost 7 years) with my significant other. I had in mind a few things that I had seen and wanted to experience with him together. I realized a stark difference in travelling as a student and as a working adult now. Convenience takes center stage, and you indulge a bit more lavishly in food, commute, and don't rely on public transport alone. We were also lucky to witness the tulips in full bloom at The Keukenhof Gardens. Words are insufficient to describe the palette of colors nature has to offer!

This was followed by an uneventful month of May.

Then came June, and with it came my parents' long-awaited visit. Although I would have loved to travel with them for a month straight, I am a humble working-class human, after all, who has limited vacation days/year. I was in Bologna, Italy (believe it or not, for a 3rd time now). Followed by a quick trip to Florence and Pisa. Bologna was a charming city; the first time I saw it was with my 2 dear friends back in 2019. A work trip last year brought me there again, where I discovered a nice bakery with my colleagues. 

And I combined the best of both times now, and enjoyed a nice week off with my family!

Bologna is a walkable and architecturally beautiful city! The entire city is in shades of reds and oranges. Bologna is referred to as La Grassa, La Dotta and La Rossa - The Fat, The Learned and The Red.  ‘La Grassa’ is a nod to its reputation as a hub of regional cuisine: rich, indulgent and waistline-expanding. 'La Rossa' refers to its archetypal terracotta-hued buildings and 'La Dotta' references its university: founded in 1088, it's considered to be the oldest in the Western world. 

Florence, on the other hand, was busy, bustling with tourists despite the warm, sunny days. With its entire city center designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, some 10-15 million tourists visit Florence every year. The yummy frozen yoghurt and delicious gelato more than made up for the warm summer days.

And then in August, for the first time ever, WE were all together in Paris (a remarkable feat, if you ask me). Coming from 3 different countries requires a lot of planning and optimization of plans. We were unfortunately ditched by the local transport network, which was closed for renovation, and there were several diversions and detours, but we did manage to do almost all things touristy- boat trip on the Seine, climb the Eiffel Tower, see the Louvre, the Basilica of the Sacré-Cœur, Arc de Triomphe, and even explored Museum Orsay in peace. Everyone went back their ways and is now settled in their mundane lives.

So far, this month looks uneventful, and so does October, but never say never ;) 








 







 


Comments

You might want to read these~

Empathy is the soul of Humanity

I am a student from India who has been oscillating betwixt Germany and France for over two years now, as part of my higher education. I am proud of my roots, the culture which I have inherited, the many customs and traditions that I’ve been exposed to as part of my growing years and the better sense of judgement that has come along with it, unknowingly.  Until one day, when I consciously made a decision to throw myself into a civilization that is far different from ours, both in terms of customs and social interaction. The first few months had been taxing; I noticed I was very observant and somehow critical of almost everything around me. I found people rude when I constantly heard them abhorring me for not speaking their ‘national’ language, the announcements on trains made no sense to me, grocery shopping felt like a dreadful task and so on. But one fine day, when my classes resumed I realized that almost all of us, including the students from the aforementioned countries wer...

For the love of Libraries

 I have been fascinated with libraries for the longest time that I can remember. As school going kids, we had to buy at least one of the four books recommended apart from course material. And at the end of term, we had a reading quiz competition where the teacher basically prepared a short quiz of 40 questions from those 4 books, that you were able to answer only if you had read the books thoroughly. So, that ensured that you not only read your book but exchanged the books you’re your classmates. And one of the books was always in Hindi. I dreaded to read because that did not come naturally to me as our mode of education was almost entirely in English. What started as reading just 4 books annually in class 3 or 4 soon turned to lending books from school library that were issued for a period of 2 weeks to eventually making my own library card for the Central library in my city. My mom is a huge reader and would always encourage (and still does) me to go to the library and let me pic...