Skip to main content

The Sweetness Of Doing Nothing

Well summer vacations are here and for the very first time(since I joined college) I feel I'm home after long. Not that I have not been home but I don't remember myself doing absolutely nothing. I've been questioned so many times these days ' what are you doing? whats on your side?' and I realized I'm probably doing nothing. I've erratic sleeping patterns, gorge on food whenever and Read – yes! I've and endless list of ' to read'. I was earlier segregating my text books to be given to juniors when I recalled summer vacations was so much fun during school time. We were given holiday homework ( you just can't escape it) but it was something I liked doing. Now that I have nothing to do, I feel equally happy and satisfied somehow! I've all the time to sit and think of nothing, plan for nothing and worry for nothing at all. How long has it been since I had felt this way?! I go out in evening and water plants; see their shades of green and brown, see the pretty resplendent flowers; stare at birds, ants, cats; see the sun setting; feel the moist, warm air; and just that !! No more, no less. I could spend entire days like this :)

 I came to know that Italians call this state as 'Dolce far niente' simply and loosely translated to the sweetness of doing nothing. What an absolute way of enjoying and rejuvenating yourself. No messaging or checking for mails. Replying to messages at my own pace. Clueless as to what comes on TV these days (besides FIFA). No clue about movies playing at multiplexes near you. No 'to do list'. No compulsion of dressing up ( I spend my entire days in pajamas). So much to do nothing!!

Soon I would be returning back to the routine of doing the same thing day in and day out, of making files and projects and so on. So it's okay to stand still some time. It's okay to slow down and watch the world go by. It's okay to lose yourself in the moment...


Comments

You might want to read these~

2026 so far

I have subscribed to some newsletters, and I have realized that publishing things weekly (which seems like a momentous task) might actually just boil down to having a routine and being disciplined. A simple format, like 10 things worth knowing, or a list of must-read short books/ movies, etc., is sometimes more than enough; enough for you to continue your weekly streak or momentum and enough for a reader to help you stay relevant. Here’s an attempt, in order to save myself from the personal disgrace of not publishing even once in 2026 on my blog. After all, it would be a pity if, after one year, I look back and realize it was that time when I actually could have posted once, just for the sake of continuity, but chose not to.  So far, this year has been nothing short of busy. Busy in terms of work and traveling. At the place where I work, I see colleagues and friends planning weeks in advance for vacations, and here I am, planning my holidays around the holidays of my partner an...

For the love of Libraries

 I have been fascinated with libraries for the longest time that I can remember. As school going kids, we had to buy at least one of the four books recommended apart from course material. And at the end of term, we had a reading quiz competition where the teacher basically prepared a short quiz of 40 questions from those 4 books, that you were able to answer only if you had read the books thoroughly. So, that ensured that you not only read your book but exchanged the books you’re your classmates. And one of the books was always in Hindi. I dreaded to read because that did not come naturally to me as our mode of education was almost entirely in English. What started as reading just 4 books annually in class 3 or 4 soon turned to lending books from school library that were issued for a period of 2 weeks to eventually making my own library card for the Central library in my city. My mom is a huge reader and would always encourage (and still does) me to go to the library and let me pic...

Empathy is the soul of Humanity

I am a student from India who has been oscillating betwixt Germany and France for over two years now, as part of my higher education. I am proud of my roots, the culture which I have inherited, the many customs and traditions that I’ve been exposed to as part of my growing years and the better sense of judgement that has come along with it, unknowingly.  Until one day, when I consciously made a decision to throw myself into a civilization that is far different from ours, both in terms of customs and social interaction. The first few months had been taxing; I noticed I was very observant and somehow critical of almost everything around me. I found people rude when I constantly heard them abhorring me for not speaking their ‘national’ language, the announcements on trains made no sense to me, grocery shopping felt like a dreadful task and so on. But one fine day, when my classes resumed I realized that almost all of us, including the students from the aforementioned countries wer...