Skip to main content

Aren't we all prisoners?

Aren't we all prisoners?

Prisoners of time?

How nothing seems to change

From one day to another,

And yet when you look back 

after months or a year,

It doesn't seem to be the same?

 

Oh, Wait.

Don't get me wrong here.

The very sights and scenes are familiar,

But the people who shared those days and laughter,

seemed to have...disappeared?

 

Aren't we all prisoners?

Prisoners of our memories?

Do you remember?

the evening skies, and the twinkling stars,

Of pockets of stillness spread afar.

Or 

The cool breeze and the sound of the stream,

As you walked along the narrow street.

Or

Reminiscing the days, and finding solace,

When you see a happy face.

Or 

The smile that unknowingly forms,

Seeing pictures that your room wall adorns.

 

Aren't we all prisoners? 

Prisoners of our own thoughts?

How at times,

We let ourselves be defined,

By those who know us the least.

Fighting battles that are not meant to be fought,

Undoing and unlearning, that needs to be not.

 

We are all prisoners,

Caged by ourselves, more than that by others.

But trust you me,

And you too shall agree,

That only you can stop yourself,

From doing what you truly believe in.

They say things take the time they take,

Till then, do what you can before you can do what you want to.

And don't be harsh on yourself, there's just one of you!


                         View from Plassenburg castle's courtyard~


Comments

  1. Arent we prisoners of prisoners who themselves are prisoners of anither prisoner. The chain gies high and the mammoth will say I am prisoner of everyone down... 😆

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the going gets tough the tough gets going

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of time. You can only be free in a moment by better judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pasta khaake jeewan bitaane waali ho tum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah, why am I reading this now?!

      Delete

Post a Comment

You might want to read these~

2026 so far

I have subscribed to some newsletters, and I have realized that publishing things weekly (which seems like a momentous task) might actually just boil down to having a routine and being disciplined. A simple format, like 10 things worth knowing, or a list of must-read short books/ movies, etc., is sometimes more than enough; enough for you to continue your weekly streak or momentum and enough for a reader to help you stay relevant. Here’s an attempt, in order to save myself from the personal disgrace of not publishing even once in 2026 on my blog. After all, it would be a pity if, after one year, I look back and realize it was that time when I actually could have posted once, just for the sake of continuity, but chose not to.  So far, this year has been nothing short of busy. Busy in terms of work and traveling. At the place where I work, I see colleagues and friends planning weeks in advance for vacations, and here I am, planning my holidays around the holidays of my partner an...

Empathy is the soul of Humanity

I am a student from India who has been oscillating betwixt Germany and France for over two years now, as part of my higher education. I am proud of my roots, the culture which I have inherited, the many customs and traditions that I’ve been exposed to as part of my growing years and the better sense of judgement that has come along with it, unknowingly.  Until one day, when I consciously made a decision to throw myself into a civilization that is far different from ours, both in terms of customs and social interaction. The first few months had been taxing; I noticed I was very observant and somehow critical of almost everything around me. I found people rude when I constantly heard them abhorring me for not speaking their ‘national’ language, the announcements on trains made no sense to me, grocery shopping felt like a dreadful task and so on. But one fine day, when my classes resumed I realized that almost all of us, including the students from the aforementioned countries wer...

For the love of Libraries

 I have been fascinated with libraries for the longest time that I can remember. As school going kids, we had to buy at least one of the four books recommended apart from course material. And at the end of term, we had a reading quiz competition where the teacher basically prepared a short quiz of 40 questions from those 4 books, that you were able to answer only if you had read the books thoroughly. So, that ensured that you not only read your book but exchanged the books you’re your classmates. And one of the books was always in Hindi. I dreaded to read because that did not come naturally to me as our mode of education was almost entirely in English. What started as reading just 4 books annually in class 3 or 4 soon turned to lending books from school library that were issued for a period of 2 weeks to eventually making my own library card for the Central library in my city. My mom is a huge reader and would always encourage (and still does) me to go to the library and let me pic...